Sunday, August 26, 2007

A surprisingly enjoyable weekend

I was away this weekend at Camp Nakamun for a school retreat. We were planning the orientation day for all the new grade 10s and so a group of us went out to have an intense planning session and just hang out, but I must admit I was rather apprehensive. I didn't know a bunch of people in the group going out... I've posted before about some of my awkwardness with friends and the fact that I don't exactly know a ton of people at school, and so I brought my iPod and a couple books just in case no one talked to me and I didn't have the guts to talk to anybody, which I figured would be a likely situation.

BUT as soon as I got in the school on Friday, I saw a guy from my former English class who I'd chatted with a bunch, and so I said hello, and he introduced me to another guy and girl, and so the four of us hung out for a lot of the weekend. It was actually really cool, to find these people that I wound up getting along with so well, instead of all the other people who were there, most of whom I know a bit and I know are realllly not the type of people I'd be friends with. Just not compatible personalities, but I was so happy I really did make friends, and I'm getting slightly excited for the new school year now.

So it became a rather enjoyable weekend, though I really hadn't expected it to be. It was also so diffierent from any of my other Nakamun trips - I've been out there 8 times, I calculated - 4 quiz meets, 2 quiz retreats, 1 youth retreat, and my grandma's 80th birthday. But each of those was in the winter, with the exception of the quiz meets, which are obviously very scheduled, and so we didn't use the climbing wall, human fooseball, campfire or go canoeing - all of which we did this weekend, and had a great time. So that was definitely a new experience, as was the fact that with my church group or family, there's a huge measure of comfort and security. I know everybody in my group, and I'm really comfortable with them all, while this time, I didn't know anyone very well and didn't exactly start out super comfortable with them - another different thing.

Food though, that was exactly the same, and before every meal, I would tell everyone what we were going to have, and I was always right. Bahaha.

But yes, that was my weekend. It is now exactly 8 days until school starts again, and because I'm sort of not looking forward to it, and sort of excited, they cancel each other out and I have no feelings on the matter.

~~~

"He looks like he's giving birth!"

4 comments:

Quizzing Nerd said...

Well, now you've had a bit of the camp experience and you're ready to go to a real week-long one. :D Too bad there's no way to get you out to Sr. Teen at Sunnybrae...ah well...

*sigh* Yeah, that's usually the case with school...well, at least we'll have something to do. I'm getting sick of sitting at home twiddling my thumbs and doing nothing, so, at least school is something to do. I'm not sure if you feel the same way or not...

Melda said...

I have mixed feelings about school starting again. I'm taking a university course in english and studying British literature, which is actually going to be pretty cool, but math and science...bleh. Whatever. The way I look at it...with the start of school comes other things I enjoy, like youth and piano and quizzing, so they do kinda balance each other out.

I actually wasn't sick of doing nothing. I'm very good at doing nothing :P

~Sil

Anonymous said...

Nope, I was definitely sick of doing nothing. I have no problem with the educational aspect of school; it gives me something to do. It's the fact that the end of last year kind of soured my outlook toward school in general that made me not want to go, but now I'm a bit better with that whole idea.

And unfortunately Josh, there's no way I'll be going to Sunnybrae. I have no emotional connection there - I'm going out to Ketchen lake in Saskatchewan because I went there twice as a youngun', my cousins will be there, I know quite a few of the staff there, and my grandfather helped found the camp. I've got roots, man.

Quizzing Nerd said...

Lol, yeah, I have no actual hope for getting anyone I know to come out with me; it's way too far for most Albertans, it seems. Anyways, I'm reasonably sure that camp out in Sask. would give you a similar experience. Camp is awesome wherever it is. (I still love Sunnybrae, though. :) )