Monday, May 21, 2007

Upcoming American Idol Finale

It's that time now - time now for me to enter my prediction for who the new American Idol will be. The unfortunate part is that I don't HAVE a prediction, nor do I really have a preference. I could argue for either Blake or Jordin, and that's what I plan to do:

Blake must win because:
- He's unique. He brings his own new flavour with his beatboxing that will appeal to a whole different audience than what AI usually does. His style of music will set him apart from any of the previous winners, or even finalists, and he'll prove that Idol really does attract a diverse crowd and can produce all types of musicians.

- He's creative. He adds beats and things to songs and makes them sound totally different than the original. It takes a giant talent to do that.

- He's a great entertainer. He keeps the audience interested through his entire performance.

- He seems like a really nice, fun-loving guy.

- I like his dad.

Blake can't win because:

- He's not the best singer, and Idol is, first and foremost, a singing competition.

- He hasn't always been consistent.

- The music he makes won't necessarily appeal to Idol's demographic - mainstream pop.

Jordin must win because:

- She's an amazing singer. She has a phenominal voice, especially for someone so young, and of the final two, she definitely has the better vocals. She's got a giant range and a voice that's really pleasing to listen to.

- Aside from Bon Jovi and Gwen Stefani weeks, she's been consistently excellent.

- Being so young, she has so much opportunity to grow and evolve in her musical journey.

- She's a beautiful girl, and fuller-figured, making her so natural-looking, which is nice to see.

- She can pull off almost any genre successfully.

- She'll make an Idol album, probably reminiscent of Kelly Clarkson, and we all know how well she did.

- She too seems to be a really sweet, nice, genuine person.

Jordin can't win because:

- She's been on American Juniors and America's Most Talented Kid, and even recorded a 5-song mini-CD when she was 13. Too much exposure, too many chances at fame.

- She is so mainstream, with basically no defined genre. She'll just make some bland pop record dictated to her, which may get radio play but won't attract new idol watchers or appeal to a very large audience.

- She's a cover singer, not necessarily an artist. She hasn't shown real creativity or individuality, other than changing a note here or there. She may be a singer, but not a musician.


Basically, either one could win and it would be fine with me. I can spin it either way. I even spun the same point either way some of the time, like the fact that Jordin will make a mainstream pop record. It can be either a positive or a negative, depending on how you look at it.

And yeah, you've pretty much just seen one of the major reasons I like watching Idol so much. I take it intellectually, I make predictions and for me, it's like a case study in humanity. It's fun.

I could also argue either way for almost all of the finalists - to win or not to win. Take Melinda... I could say she should have won, or I could say she deserved to go, and make an argument for both. But, it's getting late and I don't have the energy.

So, go Blake and Jordin!

~~~

"KYLERRRRR!!!!!"

4 comments:

Melda said...

Pffft, that was my quote in capital letters with a couple extra Rs :P I've started compiling a quote database. It's amusing.

I would comment on American Idol...but as I can't say with any honesty that I really care or that I've watched at all this season...

~Sil

Anonymous said...

yes, but mine is from when they came to see me at school and i saw them in the hall and ran towards them at top speed shouting "KYLERRRRR!!!"
totally different situations.

adifferentfeeling said...

KYLERRRRR?????????????????????????????????????????????

Quizzing Nerd said...

Good post. I don't agree with some of it, (I don't think Jordin's been consistently excellent other than those two weeks - she's been OK-to-good, but - well...not living up to potential, if you know what I mean. She could have been better), but it makes a lot of sense.

Will you have a prediction after you watch the show tonight? I'm not going to make one (or post opinion) until after that.