Friday, April 6, 2007

Easter

I love Easter. I always have, ever since it dawned on me how truly an important an event it is. I wrote something this time last year about Easter, for an audience that was mainly secular folk knowing little or nothing about Christianity, and I'm going to paste it in here:

OK guys, it's Easter. You know that. Probably because you have a couple days off school... but I really want to remind everybody how sacred this holiday really is. I'm not trying to sound pushy or preachy or anything. You can totally ignore this if you want. But I really hope you don't, that you keep an open mind and think about this.

If you have access to a Bible, read these 4 passages:

Matthew 26-28
Mark 14-16
Luke 22-24
John 18-20

Read the story of Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection. If you only read one, read Matthew. Take note of how he prays in the Garden of Gethsemane beforehand - If you are willing, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as You will.

He didn't WANT it to happen! He was scared to death! Not just of the physical pain, but here he was having walked with God all his life, never sinning once, and all of a sudden he knew he would have to be separated from God, he would have to take on the sin of the world. He was afraid but he knew that it was why he came. He wanted it to happen some other way, but he knew that ultimately, he'd do it.

And then on the cross, crying out. "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" He was so full of sin that our perfect Lord couldn't bear to look. He was broken off from God, walking alone, all for us.

He died.

For us.

It's heartbreaking.

Just think about it.

Happy Easter

1 comment:

Miliuel said...

Happy - late - Easter to you too. That was a good post. :) God is so amazing.