Sunday, April 15, 2007

Eating again... but not very much

Honestly, I think my stomach shrunk or something over 30-hour Famine. I'm really not hungry, and I haven't been that hungry all day. Oh well, it's probably good for me - I could stand to eat less. Forming healthy habits, you know.

It was really fun though, the famine was. It was a very nice surprise to see Josh and Emily, because I now remember something about Amy saying they were thinking about coming but I don't know that she ever confirmed to me. I played Halo for the first time ever, and I killed myself 5 times and other people 3 times... oops. Next time!

Then I had to go babysit, and they didn't come home until 1:30 am, so I'm a little tired. I also made the mistake of watching "When a Stranger Calls" just after midnight, which scared me half to death, considering that it's about a murderer coming into the house and killing the children while the babysitter sits downstairs. Probably not the greatest choice.

Other than that, I did a whole bunch of nothing all day, which was really relaxing but means I'm faced with a whole bunch of something to do today.

Luckily, that something includes ironing and cleaning my bathroom, two of my favourite things to do. They feed the soul, and as promised for Josh, I'm going to explain why.

First of all, they are seriously brain-dead activities. I don't have to think, or if I want to think, I don't need to think about what I'm doing, which is an effective method of multitasking - it saves time later.

But that's just convenient. The real soul-feeding part is how it started out as such a mess. The clothes are wrinkly, the bathroom is dirty, the carpet is covered in footprints. But then you come in and fix it all. You iron or scrub or vacuum, and it's all perfect again. You're powerful, you're in control, and you've fixed it. It's a good feeling, especially when you've been feeling like everything's a mess, outside of your control. All of a sudden you have total control over something, and you're improving it, making it better. You feel useful, and as you sort out your physical environment, it almost feels like you're also sorting out whatever was bothering you, whatever was confusing you, whatever was weighing you down. When you finish, you know you've accomplished something - you can look at the pile of clean ironed clothes or the sparkling washroom, and see what you've done. And that feeling makes you feel like you can take on the world.

At least, that's what it's like for me. I don't really know why I switched to second person there.

Anyway, I better get going. I have a shower to clean. ;)


"Who's got beef?"

1 comment:

Quizzing Nerd said...

I understand now. :) My mom calls it the "satisfation of a job well done." And to a certain extent, I agree; however, one must be very careful not to think about how quickly the bathroom is going to become dirty or the clothes wrinkly, because that's just depressing.